Before you hop on the bandwagon and give the 16/8 intermittent fasting weight loss craze a shot, you need to know exactly what it is, and if it’s safe.
Right now, 16/8 intermittent fasting is one of the worlds biggest weight loss trends, and it’s not slowing down.
We aim to clear up the grey area about whether or not 16/8 intermittent fasting is safe and dig deeper to see if it can damage your health.
Fasting isn’t new to the human body. It’s been around for centuries.
In the USA, it’s estimated that 14% of adults are using some variant of intermittent fasting for weight loss.
That’s over 45 million people!
What is 16/8 Intermittent Fasting?
16/8 Intermittent fasting is simply an eating pattern where you alternate between eating and fasting.
It involves a 16-hour fast in which you will abstain from consuming food, and then an 8-hour eating window.
Usually, the only liquid that can be consumed during the fasting period is water, coffee, or tea which are all zero calorie beverages.
Intermittent fasting is not a diet that includes what foods you should and shouldn’t eat, it is a specified eating window only.
A common strategy is to begin your 8-hour eating window at noon and finish at 8:00 PM. This means that you will have your first meal around lunchtime, and still have your last meal around dinner time.
Why this type of fasting is so widely used is because of its simplicity. All you have to do is eat within an 8 hour period to see results, easy as pie!
Does it seem too good to be true?
16/8 Intermittent Fasting For Weight Loss.
16/8 Intermittent fasting is deemed a powerful weight loss strategy by many people around the globe.
It’s the most common reason for people to take up the lifestyle change.
And yes, it does actually work.
Intermittent fasting has many different ways in which it promotes weight loss:
- Lowers Insulin Levels: Fasting promotes weight loss by reducing insulin levels. Insulin is a hormone that is secreted when we eat. By regularly fasting, the blood levels of insulin lower significantly, which promotes fat burning.
- Increases HGH: Intermittent fasting has been shown to increase the levels of HGH by up to 5x. Higher levels of HGH aid in fat burning, as well as muscle growth.
- Aids in Cellular Repair: Fasting also aids in your body’s cellular repair process, such as removing waste material from cells.
- Eat Fewer Calories: Generally, you will eat fewer calories while intermittent fasting which will lead to a caloric reduction.
- Increase Metabolic Rate: Fasting can boost your metabolic rate by up to 14% which can help you to burn more calories throughout the day.
It’s convenient, simple to follow and extremely beneficial to our bodies in a number of different ways.
Other Benefits of 16/8 Intermittent Fasting.
Reduce Oxidative Stress & Inflammation.
Oxidative stress is an imbalance of free radicals and antioxidants in the body. It is one of the primary steps of many chronic diseases and aging.
An intermittent fasting diet may help to enhance your resistance to oxidative stress and fight inflammation.
Imagine a way of increasing your lifespan? Well, you may be able to now.
Studies in rats have shown that intermittent fasting can extend their lifespan by up to 83%. That’s a massive amount!
Although this has not yet been proven in humans, with the number of health benefits fasting provides, it’s easy to see the possibility of a longer lifespan.
Simple To Follow.
Another great benefit of intermittent fasting is that it’s simple to follow. Meaning, you can gain a lot of great benefits without doing a whole lot of hard work.
You’ll snack less, eat out of boredom less, and feel more satisfied when you do eat.
By spending less time preparing, and eating many different meals, you’ll have more time to focus on other more productive things
Safety Precautions and Side Effects of 16/8 Intermittent Fasting.
You now know the benefits, but is 16/8 intermittent fasting safe?
Before trying a new diet or lifestyle change it is always recommended that you consult a medical professional first.
With everything, there are a few safety precautions and side effects:
- Pregnancy: If you are pregnant or breastfeeding it is recommended not to fast.
- Medical Conditions: If you have a medical condition such as diabetes, low blood sugar, or have an eating disorder, consult your medical professional about 16/8 intermittent fasting first.
- Hunger: A side effect of 16/8 intermittent fasting is hunger. Some people experience hunger during the fasting period when they first make the lifestyle change.
Other than the above, 16/8 intermittent fasting is entirely safe to use for weight loss, as long as you’re eating a healthy, well-balanced diet.
Frequently Asked Questions.
1. Can I Workout During The Fast?
You can definitely workout during the fast. Drinking a black coffee 30 minutes prior to your workout can help to give you an extra energy boost!
2. Will Fasting Cause Muscle Loss?
A common questions is “will fasting cause muscle loss”? You’ll find many peoples answer to this questions is “yes”.
When losing weight, you will always have the potential to lose muscle.
It’s important to keep your protein intake high and focus on resistance training to maintain your muscle mass.
3. Can I Drink Liquids During The fast?
Yes! During the fasting period, you’re allowed to drink water, coffee, tea, and all other beverages that contain zero calories.
Remember, no milk, sugar or additives in your coffee!
Drinking water with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice is a great way to change things up. Here are 7 Health Benefits of Lemon Water.
4. Will I Have Worse Sleep Quality?
No, you won’t. Studies show that intermittent fasting actually improve the quality and length of sleep.
5. Will 16/8 Intermittent Fasting Slow My Metabolism?
No. 16/8 Intermittent fasting has been shown to increase metabolic rate by up to 14%, which aids in burning more calories throughout the day.
6. What Should I Eat During the Non-Fasting Period For Weight Loss?
The idea is to eat as clean as possible during the non-fasting period. The more healthy and balanced diet you eat, the better your results will be.
Leave a comment if you enjoyed 16/8 Intermittent Fasting, is it Safe for Weight Loss? or you have any questions.